Everyone and their cousin is chiming in with ways and places to donate, and I'll be damned if I sit idly by...
One thing we all need to consider is this: donating once, twice...that won't be enough. Now, I'm not advocating we simply give, give, give of our funds until we're moetionally and financially depleted, but we need to be cognizant of the fact that giving one time in September 2005 will help, but people -- almost all of the evacuees from the MS Gulf Coast and from New Orleans -- will be affected still in March 2006, October 2007, and June 2009 -- and beyond.
We need to be prepared to open our houses, hearts, and selves to people. Be prepared to emotionally counsel as well as financially. Help people find jobs. Help people find missing family and friends. Help people find new lives.
Trust me -- I have a lot more to say...but for now, I have to get back to work.
- American Red Cross (800) HELP NOW (435-7669) English http://www.redcross.org (800) 257-7575 Spanish
- Operation Blessing (800) 436-6348 http://www.ob.org
- America’s Second Harvest (800) 344-8070 http://www.secondharvest.org
- Adventist Community Services (800) 381-7171 http://www.adventist.communityservices.org
- Catholic Charities (703) 549-1390 http://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org
- Christian Disaster Response (941) 956-5183 or (941) 551-9554 http://www.cdresponse.org
- Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (800) 848-5818 http://www.crwrc.org
- Church World Service (800) 297-1516 http://www.churchworldservice.org
- Convoy of Hope (417) 823-8998 http://www.convoyofhope.org
- Lutheran Disaster Response (800) 638-3522 http://www.elca.org/disaster
- Mennonite Disaster Service (714) 859-2210 http://www.mds.mennonite.net
- Nazarene Disaster Response (888) 256-5886 http://www.nazarenedisasterresponse.org
- Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (800) 872-3283 http://www.pcusa.org/pda
- Salvation Army (800) SAL-ARMY (725-2769) http://www.salvationarmyusa.org
- Southern Baptist Convention - Disaster Relief (800) 462-8657, ext. 6440 http://www.namb.net
- United Methodist Committee on Relief (800) 554-8583 http://www.gbgm-umc.org/umcor